yay! I finally got a new computer! My previous computer was zapped by lightning or a power surge or something... All I know is that there was a big thunderstorm that day and when I returned from work my computer was dead. Luckily, my harddrive was ok. Here are some specs on my shiny new machine.
AMD64 X2 6000+
2 GB RAM
nVidia GeForce 7600 GT
22" widescreen LCD monitor
AC'97 7.1 onboard audio
I've never built a computer from parts before, so it took me the better part of 2 days to get it working properly. I'm still convinced that my first IDE channel is defective, but I worked around it. I also haven't been able to get the floppy drive working. But everything else seems to be working great. I haven't yet gotten used to the noise of 8 fans!
Anyway, I finally got Ubuntu up and running at the proper resolution and playing DVD's, both of which were a PITA to get working right. To even get started I actually had to manually edit xorg.conf to run in vesa mode, update the nvidia driver, then edit xorg.conf again. I also had to manually add the monitor's 1680x1050 optimal resolution to xorg.conf. As for playing DVD's, luckily there were some good instructions online.
No comments:
Post a Comment